Altar Servers serve a necessary liturgical function by assisting priests and deacons before, during and after the liturgy. Altar Servers are chosen from volunteer candidates who are enrolled in either public or Catholic schools, are in the 4th Grade (second half) through high school and who have received the sacraments of Baptism and the Eucharist. The Altar Servers assist the celebrant at Sunday Masses, funerals, weddings and other special Masses and services. The training of new servers takes place in the fall.
Responsibilities of altar servers include
- Carrying the cross and candles in procession.
- Presenting the book to the presider and holding it open for him.
- Preparing the altar for the Liturgy of the Eucharist when no deacon is present.
- Assisting in receiving the gifts of the people.
- Bringing the bread and wine to the altar and presenting them to the priest.
- Assisting the priest during the washing of hands.
- Receiving and arranging the vessels after communion.
- Preparing, carrying and presenting the vessels used for incense.
- Assisting the priest or deacon in any way required.
- Singing, praying and listening attentively with the people.
- Practicing responsibilities with confidence and dignity in the space where they will serve.
If you are interesting in serving this ministry please contact Suzy in the parish office at 504.835.0324, ext. 301.